Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Where did our summer go?

Today was my first day back to school. This time of year is so bittersweet. I love summer...the warm weather, being home with Kiera, visiting parks and playgrounds, going to garage sales, Huntington Beach, gardening, eating ice cream, reading books, driving with the top down, eating dinner on the patio, drinking iced tea, swimming, having lunch with friends, playing with cousins, visiting Mimi and Papa's house, corn on the cob, sleeping in, Grandpa's Friday visits, going on vacation with our family, Tyler's baseball games, flipflops, having Ryan and Mya visit, sunscreen and sun tans (especially Kiera's tan lines on her dupa), blowing bubbles, playing with neighbors, having Auntie Em home, walking around the block. But I love the school year too...a fresh start to a new year, new students, a clean classroom, seeing colleagues and catching up, hugs from students, reading with children, lightbulb moments when my students "get it," experiments, excitement over learning to read, new pencils and crayons, decorating bulletin boards. I leave you with pictures of our last few weeks of summer.

Playing with a lizard daddy caught at a job site
brought home for Kiera
This is how Kiera "rolled" most mornings this summer...
playing in the backyard with no shirt or shoes
Helping daddy fix the brick patio
A butterfly in our backyard
Fun at the Science Center
Posing in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
after a picnic lunch at the Science Center
An evening trip to Huntington Beach
Playing with Sparkle
Kiera helping me blow out my birthday candles
Bowling at Bay Lanes for the first time
Picking flowers at Auntie Kate's
Yet another trip to the playground
Sleeping Beauty

1 comment:

  1. I love the reflection about summer and fall. I think they are my two favorite seasons.
    And the last photo is a perfect closing shot.

    ReplyDelete